Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Big Debut

Well most of you may know the traumatic entry little Winston had into this world, but many do not. Before I start I do want to say that everyone is fine. It was scary for a bit, but everyone is ok now.

Let's start with the labor. Going into induction on the 22nd of April at 5 am, I was not too scared. I knew I was getting the drugs, and I really just felt like it wasn't going to be that bad (haha). I also was prepared to have a long labor, I wasn't expecting anything less than 12 hours, but I was hoping I would at least have him on the 22nd. Oh was I wrong. It was not what I thought it would be. At first things weren't so bad, I started patosin, and didn't feel much. When I was dilated to a 3 (7 or so hours into labor) they broke my water. Right after that I made sure they got me that epidural. Anyway, as I kept dilating, I knew my epidural was working, but I was in a ton of pain cause of the pressure. I know people told me I would feel pressure, but this was so painful. It was awful. Then I got a fever. Since the babies heart wasn't being effected we just continued on with the labor and I got antibiotics. After some serious torture and pain It finally came time for me to start pushing, I started and after 2 1/2 hours he wasn't budging any further. When the doctor came in, I think the babies heart started increasing and things became crazy. All of a sudden Winston was getting vacuumed out of me. It was awful.

So 20 hours later, He was finally here. Not on the 22nd but the 23rd.

Well as soon as he got here, he had some complications. He had a fever, he wasn't crying, and had his cord around his neck twice. The nurses revived him, and then took him to the nursery. It was so good to hear him start crying.






In the nursery, they checked all of his vitals and ran some tests. The tests came back good. But the scare was now his head. He had major swelling in his head. It was a combination of being in the canal for so long, he was also face up, which put him in a bad position. But I think what made it worse was the vacuum. They wanted to keep him in the nursery to keep an eye on his head.






my poor baby






Well later that morning, they ran a cat scan on him and his brain had swelling as well as blood around the brain.








Here is a picture of the big bruise the next day :(













Well because of the cat scan results, the doctors thought it was best for little Winston to get moved over to BAnner Dessert where there is a better Nicu, They wanted to monitor him closer and check to see if the swelling goes down.








I finally got to hold him, and I just fell in love. He is the sweetest boy ever. (check out my swollen hand below)












The good thing is that neurologically, he was doing great. His behaviors were all completely normal.








Here Winston is before they took him over to BAnner Desert. It seriously broke my heart.







Look how precious he is.




When he got to the new hospital I was still at the other hospital so I didn't get to be with him. Nate and his mom were so great and stayed with Winston while my mom came and stayed with me


In the Nicu, his chest got cold and Nate didn't have any of his clothes with him, The Nicu is not used to having babies his size, so they had no clothes his size. They did find this huge onesie though. It was so funny to see him in it.




Well after 2 more cat scans, the doctors were able to see that his brain swelling went down and that the blood around his brain was significantly improved as well. They finally let us take him home. We were so relieved, thankful and happy.

It is so nice to have Winston home. We love him so much. He is such a good boy. Very calm, loves to eat and sleep, although we're working on getting him to not use the bottle and use mom instead. Hopefully he'll get a hang of breast feeding soon.




I can't tell you how grateful we are for all of your prayers. Thank you for all your support. We are so blessed to have so many good friends and family in our lives.
Winston, we love you and are so excited to have you in our lives.


24 comments:

Shums said...

He is adorable!! I am so happy for you guys.

sarahjohn said...

He looks so so so cute. I am so glad to hear that you are all doing well. I am sure that was so hard to be apart from your baby, but I am sure you are loving every minute of him now!
Enjoy him! He is beautiful!

laura said...

Thanks goodness he is okay!! That was quite a scare! What a cutie. I can't wait to see him and hold him.

ASU fan said...

How much did he weight and how long is he? Did he weigh 8.5 lbs and was he 21.3 inches long? HA Ha!

Posey Cowart said...

that is so scary! I am so happy he is okay! Congrats! Welcome to motherhood! It is the best thing ever! He is adorable!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear he is OK!! Because he is a beautiful gift from God! Thanksfully all our prayers were answered for him and you. Hug, Kiss, cuddle and hold as much as you want...tome is always so short! He is probably already growing right before your eyes!! It is a Good Life!! Best wishes to your little family, Alice

JR and Steph said...

Oh my goodness he is so cute! I am so glad you are both okay. JR and I are going to have to make a trip up there so we can meet him.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad everyone is okay. I am SO SO sorry for the crappy labor. I can't believe you have a baby. He is adorable!

Alison said...

Regan! I kept checking your blog last week to see how things went and to see pictures of the new little guy! I was thinking about you all day on Wednesday! I am so excited for you both! Winston is so cute! How fun to have a baby!!! Miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

He is SO SO SO cute!! I am so glad that you both are doing well! I can see both you and Nate in him! I wish I was there to squeeze him. I showed Addison her new cousin and she just smiled! Good luck with the breast feeding! Your a champ!! And the pictures of his head made my stomach churn, OUCH!! No wonder he had a head ache poor guy!

Heidi said...

I absolutely love the picture of him all balled up, he is so sweet and huge! keep postin pics. Good job regan and have fun guys.

Ali said...

Regan, I am SO happy for you, and even MORE happy that Winston is home and doing well. I was so worried for you! He is beautiful. Congratulations - this is the sweetest time - enjoy it!

Hugs,
Ali T.

Ali said...

P.S. You're gonna be great. I am SO impressed you've upated your blog already! LOL You go girl!

The Gibbens said...

He is a handsome little man!!! (and I'm not just saying that) I'm so glad that everyone is healthy and home- hang in there with the breastfeeding- don't go overboard with the bottles- I think that's what turned Maesyn off and I lost her totally (from breastfeeding) at about 3 mos! Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is quite a story! I'm so glad EVERYTHING turned out and that EVERYONE is happy and healthy! He sure is a precious little boy. Congratulations! Love every minute of motherhood -- it's the best! Hope to see you soon!

slades said...

Regan and Nate! We are so thrilled that Winston is finally here, and relieved that he is healthy and happy. What a nerve racking way to enter the world...I can't wait to see him and I really can't wait to see you both as parents! We love you, give lots of love to the little guy from us!!! Talk to you soon!

slades said...

p.s. this is lynn. I guess I was posting under my mom's name...

slades said...

congrats regan...we're so glad everyone is okay. He's so beautiful...
(this is dianne)

Mike and Alecia said...

Oh wow, what a story. I'm so glad that everyone is ok. Congrats on your little boy. He is so precious! We need to get together sometime so I can meet him!

Colburns said...

He is so sweet to look at! I hope he is ok from now on I am sorry you had to go through that!

The Mcclellan's said...

Wow you did not tell me that the cord was wrapped around his neck. That is scary Regan Im so sorry, Im glad everything is ok. He is so cute. I love him. He weights the same as Sean when Sean was born they'll be big together. How are you feeling? Good luck with the breast feeding, Let us know when your up for visitors.

The Reebs' said...

Gosh I didn't know it was such an ordeal! Way to get through it Regan, that would be a scary situation. Talk about long labors! I think you could pretty much handle anything now! Im glad you guys are home and getting situated. Hopefully you're getting to experience all the fun mothering times now that you're both doin ok. Get some good rest, congrats!

Alli grins said...

Regan...I cannot believe how on top of it you are, between the pre-eclampsia, Winston's scare and moving...and yet you still find time to blog! I'm so glad that your baby is okay and home with you. I was really worried about him! I can't believe you won't be in the ward anymore. You are a force of nature and we will really miss you & Nate. Enjoy that gorgeous new baby (and seeing your feet again, right?) Love you!

Blended Chaos said...

He is a cutie! So glad that everything is okay now! So when are you guys making a trip to Utah to show him off? We would love to get together with you!